Types of Barcode Scanner
Video Tutorial on Types of Barcode Scanner
1. Pen Barcode Scanner:
Pen-type scanners contain photodiode and light source (LED) in its tip. Light illuminates the white and black bars of barcode, when the tip moves over it. To determine the width and color of each bar of barcode, photodiode measures the intensity of reflected light from white spaces and bars.
White bars of the barcode reflect back the light and dark bars absorb the light, this form the waveform that is decoded by scanner.
2. Laser Barcode Scanner:
Lights get reflect back to diode, to measure level of reflection. Reflected light is then converted into digital signal to read the barcode.
3. CCD Barcode Scanner:
CCD Scanners are expensive then laser and pen-type scanner but are highly accurate to decode barcode information.
4. 2D Camera Barcode Scanner:
2D Camera image scanner uses small video camera to capture 2D barcode images. Video camera consists of many tiny light sensors like CCD scanners that are arranged in multiple rows (two dimensional arrays).
When light shots on the barcode, diode takes digital picture of it that is sent to software as digital signal. Software decodes the information of 2D barcode images.
5. Mobile Device Barcode Scanner:
You just need to download barcode scanner app on your mobile phone device to make it enable to scan barcode on products, articles, ID cards etc.
Other commonly used Barcode Scanners are:
- Handheld Scanner: consist of handle and trigger button to switch on the light source.
- Stationary Scanner: table-mounted or wall-mounted scanner that are mainly used at checkout counters of supermarkets or retailers.
- PDA Scanner: It is a PDA with attached barcode scanner or in-built barcode reader.
- Wireless Scanner: Wireless also known as cordless scanner that is operated by battery fitted inside it.